1 of or relating to or belonging to a nation or country; "national hero"; "national anthem"; "a national landmark"
2 limited to or in the interests of a particular nation; "national interests"; "isolationism is a strictly national policy" [ant: international]
3 concerned with or applicable to or belonging to an entire nation or country; "the national government"; "national elections"; "of national concern"; "the national highway system"; "national forests" [ant: local]
4 owned or maintained for the public by the national government; "national parks"
5 inside the country; "the British Home Office has broader responsibilities than the United States Department of the Interior"; "the nation's internal politics" [syn: home(a), interior(a), internal]
6 characteristic of or peculiar to the people of a nation; "a national trait"
7 of or relating to nationality; "national origin" n : a person who owes allegiance to that nation; "a monarch has a duty to his subjects" [syn: subject]
- Of or having to do with a nation.
- Import tariffs were raised for the national interest.
of or having to do with a nation
- Chinese: 国家的 (guójiā de)
- Czech: národní
- Dutch: nationaal, landelijk
- Estonian: kodanik; rahvuslik; riiklik
- Finnish: kansallinen, kansallis-, kansan
- French: national
- German: national
- Greek: εθνικός (ethnikos)
- Hungarian: nemzeti, országos, állami
- Italian: nazionale
- Japanese: 国家の (こっかの, kokka no)
- Korean: 국민의 (gukminui)
- Kurdish: ,
- Portuguese: nacional
- Romanian: naţional
- Russian: национальный (natsionál’nyj)
- Scots: naitional
- Spanish: nacional
- Swedish: nationell
Usage notesSee nation for notes regarding the usage of national to refer to the UK and its member states.
A citizen of a nation
- Finnish: kansalainen
A tournament in which participants from all over the nation compete
National can refer to:
- From Nation or Country
- a person who owes loyalty to a country but lacks full membership in it; a non-citizen resident "citizens of Guam are nationals but not citizens of the United States"--D.L. Oliver. (See Nationality.)
- National (distribution): A type of product or publication this is distributed across an entire nation, e.g., a national magazine.
- Vending machines made by the large manufacturer Crane Co.
- National (brand), the Japanese brand under which Matsushita products are sold. In the US, they are sold under the Panasonic brand.
- National (Gymanfa Ganu) can refer to a Gymanfa Ganu in North America
any of many entities whose names start with "National"
- National Center for Research on Earthquake Engineering (NCREE)
- National Broadcasting Company (NBC), a television network
- National Development Front Kerala, a Muslim organisation in Kerala
- National Benzol, a British petroleum brand
- National Bus Company in Australia
- National Car Rental
- National College of Natural Medicine, a medical school in Portland, Oregon.
- National Party of New Zealand.
- National String Instrument Corporation, a company formed in the 1920s to manufacture the first resonator guitars.
- National Reso-Phonic Guitars, a company formed in the 1980s to manufacture resonator guitars and the current owners of the National brand in the USA.
- National Records, a record label
national in German: National
national in French: National
national in Italian: National
national in Japanese: ナショナル
national in Korean: 내셔널
all-comprehending, all-comprehensive, all-covering, all-embracing, all-encompassing, all-filling, all-including, all-inclusive, all-pervading, allover, catholic, chauvinistic, citizen, citizen by adoption, civic, civil, clannish, common, communal, cosmopolitan, cosmopolite, country-wide, ecumenic, ethnic, family, federal, galactic, general, genetic, gentile, gentilic, global, governmental, heaven-wide, home, hyphenate, hyphenated American, immigrant, inhabitant, inland, internal, international, intestine, jingoistic, lineal, metic, municipal, nationalist, nationalistic, native, naturalized citizen, nondenominational, nonnative citizen, nonsectarian, patriotic, phyletic, phylogenetic, planetary, popular, public, racial, resident, social, societal, state, subject, supranational, total, totemic, tribal, universal, world-wide